Wednesday 4 September 2013

Success is ...


The Guardian published their 2013 MediaGuardian 100 this week and it struck me how much we seem to enjoy these made up lists of seemingly successful and influential people. As I look at my own currently rather dreary bank balance and wildly fluctuating freelance portfolio career (!) I'm beginning to wonder if I'm successful. If I am, then what does that look like? If I'm not, then what's the secret?

It seems to me that these lists are nearly always about earning a shed load of money, being married to someone with a shed load of money, being the CEO of a big old company, or being somewhere in line to the throne. I obviously fail on all of the above, as does the vast majority of the world's population. With this in mind can any of us say we're successful? With prerequisites like these I'm beginning to question whether these lists are motivating or just a way to inspire envy and dissatisfaction.

If we continue to measure success by affluence or position it leaves very little room to feel worthwhile within the context of our own life choices.  What if our sphere of influence is only amongst our friends (Facebook ones included!) and family? What if we never make it past middle-manager, or shop floor assistant? 

Feeling slightly demoralised by all this I've decided to do a little experiment .... something of a pick me up. It's nothing new really, just some positive affirmation, a bit of a hug for the soul! I've decided to do a 'Success is .... ' photo collection. Everyday, for as long as I can be bothered, I'm going to take a picture of something I think has been successful - nothing to do with money, power or fame, just little wins that make me feel happy. My first thought was a picture of my washing line. I can't help but take pride in getting the distance between the clothes just right, with all the socks matched. But I decided to take this one instead...



It's a little DIY kit for kids to make an apron out of a tea towel. Doesn't sound like anything I usually get up too. In fact it's not remotely like planning a difficult and dangerous expedition, but craft is something I really, really enjoy. So I've put this kit together to give to a friend and her young daughter. For me - a success! I've also set up a Pinterest page where I'll post my daily 'Success is...' pictures.

So, if like me you're somewhere in the middle of the World Top 7 Billion List, then perhaps you can like my Pinterest page? But don't worry if you don't ... it's successful anyway!

Sally 

No comments:

Post a Comment